Project Management Institute is the biggest international association of project managers (approximately 500 000 members in 185 countires). It was founded in 1969 in Pennsylvania as an non-profit organization.
Activities of PMI focus on few aspects certification, setting up information centers, courses, conferences, lectures and elaboration of project management standards.
PMI Certification is based on five types of titles:
1) Certified Associate in Project Management
2) PMI Risk Management Professional
3) PMI Scheduling Professional
4) Project Management Professional
5) Program Management Professional
Another crucial activity of PMI is building up standards gathered guidelines for recommended project management practices (commonly known is PMBOK Guide which newest version is available since 2008)